|Season 14, Episode 13|
|Ep.# in Series:||428|
|Air date||January 2, 1973|
|Written by||Arthur Heinemann, Joel Murcott|
|Directed by||Lewis Allen|
| Previous Episode:|
| Next Episode:|
The Marriage of Theodora Duffy
The Witness on IMDb
The Witness on TV.com
Candy is framed for a murder and faces trial. While Griff goes after the only witness, who has fled town, Ben places his faith in a young lawyer's ability to defend Candy against a prosecutor with a spotless record.
An elderly business associate of Ben's dies after a man, posing as Candy, tries to rob her; the woman suffers a fatal heart attack. Since it happened during the commission of a felony, it's considered murder. The real Candy, who had been assaulted at a hotel by the same man, is held in connection with the old woman's death.
A woman named Kate is the only one who can back up Candy's alibi, but she has left town with her husband, who is the thief. Griff agrees to go after Kate and have her provide a statement. He discovers, as Ben and Joe do later, that Kate has a past that, if revealed at trial, could do serious harm to Candy's defense.
Meanwhile, Ben is unsure about the young defense attorney's ability to defend Candy, particularly since the state's attorney has a nearly spotless conviction record. But the budding lawyer is determined to play David to the prosecutor's Goliath.
Cast and CharactersEdit
The Cartwrights Edit
- Sam Jarvis: Burford
- William Wintersole: Frank Schulte
- Dick Ryal: Will Reilly
- Shirley O'Hara: Ella Peterson
- David McLean: Sheriff Touhy
- Sally Kemp: Kate Fallon/ Kathryne Gardner
- Larry Finley: Sam
- Ross Elliott: Harvey Walters
- Byron Mabe: Louis Gardner
- Stephen Nathan: Oscar Hammer
- German episode title: "David und Goliath im Wilden Westen", meaning "David And Goliath In The Wild West".
- Mitch Vogel does not appear in this episode.
- Hoss is sadly dead during this episode.