|Season 5, Episode 9|
The Waiting Game
The Quality of Mercy on IMDb
The Quality of Mercy on TV.com
Little Joe struggles with his conscience, trying to believe that his friend, Seth Pruitt, did the right thing after Seth admits to the mercy-killing of his fiancée's father when the man was in agony from a broken back and begging for death.
At a mine cave-in, Joe's friend Seth Pruitt stands over the body of his future father-in-law, a man he admits to having killed. The older man man was in severe agony and begging to be put out of his misery. Seth swears Joe to secrecy, leaving Joe to struggle with determining if it was morally right to kill the man, and if it's right to keep the secret.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Bill Clark: John Dagliesh/Sara's Father
- Bob Miles: Card Player
- Ed Prentiss: Minister
- Kitty Kelly: Mrs. Gibbons
- Nancy Rennick: Sara
- Richard Rust: Seth Pruitt
Did you know?Edit
- German episode title: "Die Erlösung", meaning "The Salvation".
- This was one of Michael Landon's favourite episodes.
Adam: "Joe, it's never too late for the truth."
Adam (to Joe): ". . . I think you're trying to convince yourself that two wrongs make a right, and they don't."