|Season 3, Episode 27|
|Ep.# in Series:||93|
|Air date||April 1, 1962|
|Written by||Michael Landon |
|Directed by||William Witney|
| Previous Episode:|
Look to the Stars
| Next Episode:|
The Gamble on IMDb
The Gamble on TV.com
Little Joe is his family's only hope when he escapes from a kangaroo court that has framed the Cartwrights for a bank robbery and sentenced them all to hang.
On a cattle drive, the Cartwrights stop for the night in Alkali and are jailed for robbing the town's bank and killing several people. Joe escapes and frantically rushes to find help before Ben, Adam, and Hoss go to the gallows.
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Ben Johnson: Deputy Sheriff Stan Mace
- Betty Endicott: Brunette Townswoman
- Bill Clark: Deputy Sheriff/Ponderosa Ranch Hand
- Charles McGraw: Sheriff Gains
- I. Stanford Jolley: Harry
- Jan Harrison: Joyce
- Joseph Walsh: Billy Tyler
- Martha Manor: Blonde Townswoman
- Morris Ankrum: Mr. Mason
- Raymond Greenleaf: Judge Jackson
- Robert Foulk: Deputy Sheriff Clem
- Robert Sampson: Artie Clay
Did you know?Edit
- German episode title: "Überfall in Alkali", meaning "Assault in Alkali".
- A clip from this episode appeared in the 1994 NBC special Back to Bonanza.
- This was the first script written by Michael Landon. He co-wrote it with Frank Cleaver.