|Season 3, Episode 31|
|Ep.# in Series:||97|
|Air date||April 29, 1962|
|Written by||Robert Vincent Wright|
|Directed by||Christian Nyby|
| Previous Episode:|
Blessed Are They
| Next Episode:|
The Long Night
The Dowry on IMDb
The Dowry on TV.com
A stagecoach carrying Alexander Dubois, his daughter Michele and her fiancé Don Ricardo Fernandez is held up. Her dowry is stolen and Monsieur Dubois is injured trying to get it back. Little Joe brings them all to the Ponderosa where Dubois can recuperate from his wound. Adam and Hoss track the bandits and recover the dowry but the bandits get away and more attempts to steal it are made. The Cartwrights begin to grow suspicious of Don Fernandez and the way he seems to take all of this in stride.
Little Joe looking is looking for a cow that escaped. He runs into a stage coach and the driver offers to give him a ride to Virgina City. Passengers on the stage include Ricardo Fernandez, a Michele Dubois, and her father, Alexander.
Bandits soon come upon the stage coach and steal the girl's dowry. Her father is shot. The passengers stay at the Cartwrights and Joe soon falls in love. Adam and Hoss soon find the dowry and discover that it is fake.
Ricardo and Joe get in a fight over the girl while Adam stands by and watches.
During all this, the bandits break into the girl's father's room and steals the dowry. Ben sees this and is furious when he goes home to find that Hoss was asleep, Joe was in a fight, and Adam was watching. The father comes out of the house and Ben explains that Ricardo was responsible for the stealing of the dowry because he really wasn't rich and that the father had made a fake dowry so he could marry his daughter properly.
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Cosmo Sardo: Bartender
- Ken Mayer: Crusty
- Lee Bergere: Don Ricardo Fernandez
- Luciana Paluzzi: Michele Dubois
- Steven Geray: Alexander Dubois
Did you know?Edit
- German episode title: "Mitgift für Miss Dubois", meaning "Dowry for Miss Dubois".
- While filming outdoor shots at Iverson Ranch, two of the horses became stuck in the mud and fell into each other. While the animals were uninjured, Pernell Roberts suffered a sprain and Dan Blocker broke his collarbone. The remaining scenes was re-written to have Hoss sleeping, and he sported a sling the rest of the season. NBC sent down orders that the cast would not be allowed do anything remotely "dangerous" on the show.