| Season 4, Episode 5 |
#105 in Series
|Air date||October 21, 1962|
|Written by||Norman Lessing|
|Directed by||William Witney|
| Previous Episode:|
A Hot Day for a Hanging
| Next Episode:|
The Way Station
The Deserter (Season 4) on IMDb
The Deserter (Season 4) on TV.com
Colonel Edward J. Dunwoody arrives in search of an Army deserter--his own son--who's a well-liked neighbor of the Cartwrights. The Shoshones are planning revenge against Dunwoody, who was the mastermind behind the massacre of an Indian village.
An Indian-hating officer, Colonel Edward J. Dunwoody, comes to the Ponderosa looking for army deserter Bill Winters, who is a good friend of the Cartwrights. Bill happens to be his son and is married to an Indian.
It seemed Bill deserted when he was ordered to massacre the Shoshone, by poisoning their food and water, genocide. The Shoshone find out and abduct Bill's father.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Andrea Darvi: Maria Winters Jr.
- Anthony Caruso: Chief Keokuk
- Bill Clark: Shoshone Indian
- Bob Miles: Shoshone Indian
- Claude Akins: Col. Edward J. Dunwoody
- Gale Garnett: Maria Winters
- George Keymas: Running Wolf
- Hal John Norman: Medicine Man
- Ricky Branson: Edward Winters
- Robert Carricart: Myoka
- Robert Sampson: Bill Winters
Did you know?Edit
- This episode was never shown on German television.