| Season 4, Episode 12 |
#112 in Series
|Air date||December 16, 1962|
|Written by||Frank Chase |
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous Episode:|
| Next Episode:|
The Good Samaritan
The Decision on IMDb
The Decision on TV.com
Hoss is seriously injured on a cattle drive and Ben takes him to a nearby town in search of a doctor. Unfortunately, the only physician is in jail, waiting to be hung for murder. Ben talks the judge into letting the doctor take a look at Hoss, and helps to prove the innocence of the medicine man.
Hoss suffers a life-threatening injury while riding with his father and brothers. They rush him to a nearby town looking for help.
However, the town doctor is in jail, about to be hanged for murder. Ben manages to arrange for the doctor to treat Hoss. Ben then learns that there's more to the doctor than at first appears to be the case.
After further investigation, Ben finds that the doctor is innocent.
However, he also discovers that the sentencing judge has special reasons for wanting the doctor dead. Ben must somehow convince the judge to do the right thing if the doctor is to be spared from hanging.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Bill Clark: Stephens
- DeForest Kelley: Dr. Michael Jons
- Eddie Quillan: Danny Culp
- John Hoyt: Judge Franklin Grant
- Lisabeth Hush: Karen Jons
- Walter Sande: Sheriff Wall
- Will J. White: Deputy Hoff
Did you know?Edit
- German episode title: "Der einzige Arzt", meaning "The Only Doctor".
- "The honorable judge Grant... Judge Franklin Grant. Yes, he has the power - the power of life or death"
- ―Michael Jons[src]