|Full Name:||Jedediah Milbank|
|Portrayed by:||John Carradine|
Personal Information Edit
Jedediah Milbank is an old friend of Ben Cartwright, he knew Ben when his sons were still children. He visits Ben on his way to various jobs around Virginia City and Ben invites him over to his place. Jedediah loves his use of proverbs and uses them at every opportunity.
Since it's been a while since Jedediah has seen Ben's sons he takes him to see them where they are building a new branding pen and to show him how well his sons have grown.
When Jedediah meets them, they're fighting in a muddy puddle and gets injured when Joe inadvertently throws a log intended for Hoss at Jedediah injuring his foot.
As recompense for the accident Ben offers his sons to run errands for Jedediah while he recuperates at the Ponderosa.
First he sends Joe to throw a squatter off his land, then he sends Hoss to buy land from a couple living on it so he can use it to fatten his cattle and finally he sends Adam to repossess land that the owners have failed to keep up on the payments.
The proverbs used by Jedediah:
- A fool and his money are soon parted.
- Nothing ruins a place like neglect.
- The early bird catches the worm.
- Great oaks from little acorns.
- Never put off tomorrow what you can do today.
- Time waits for no man.
- Friends in need are friends indeed.
- Idle hands are the devils workshop.
- Lets make hay while the sun shines.
- A job worth doing it's worth doing well.
- Like father like son.