| Season 1, Episode 5 |
#5 in Series
|Air date||October 10, 1959|
|Written by||Harold Shumate|
|Directed by||Paul Landres|
| Previous Episode:|
The Paiute War
| Next Episode:|
The Julia Bulette Story
Enter Mark Twain on IMDb
Enter Mark Twain on TV.com
Samuel Clemens arrives in Virginia City to write for the Territorial Enterprise. His stories are humorous, but when he writes about a wild man found on the Ponderosa, the ranch is overrun with the curious. Adam finds "Josh," Clemens' pen name, and orders him to retract the story. The retraction is actually a story about the wild man dying and sinking to the bottom of Lake Tahoe. The Cartwrights are not amused.
Meanwhile, Virginia City is having an election and Judge Jeremy Billington is running for re-election. He's campaigning hard, even though he never loses. The Cartwrights have also discovered men surveying on their property. When they discover the surveyor works for the railroad and that Billington has been seen with the railroad supervisor, they realize that a land grab is about to be made and approved by a crooked judge. Sam has also decided that he wants to write meaningful articles and conspires with the Cartwrights to bring down the judge. His hilarious articles make Billington a laughingstock.
Despite being attacked, he continues to write. The Cartwrights come into town to defend Sam just as he's under gunfire. A gunfight ensues even as Sam writes his next article. But suddenly it occurs to him that his pen name isn't right. As the bullets fly around him, and the Cartwrights encourage him to write, Sam decides to call himself Mark Twain. The Cartwrights win the gunfight, Twain writes his article, and Billington loses the election. The Ponderosa is safe from a land grab.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Pernell Roberts: Adam Cartwright
- Anne Whitfield: Rosemary Lawson
- Arthur Lovejoy: Dr. Ephraim Lovejoy
- Bill Clark: Townsman
- Dorothy Green: Minnie Billington
- Edmon Ryan: Daniel Lash
- Herman Hack: Townsman
- Howard Duff: Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain
- John Litel: Judge Jeremy Clarence Billington
- Lane Bradford: Lash's Foreman
- Patrick McVey: Bill Raleigh
- Percy Helton: Blurry Jones
- Robert Carson: Marshal
Did You Know?Edit
- This is the first of three "Bonanza" episodes featuring Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain.
- Howard Duff's wife, Ida Lupino, was the guest star in The Saga of Annie O'Toole.
- "Minnie, how many times have I spoken to you about talking to strange men?!"
"I wasn't talking to him." (pause) "He was talking to me.""
- ―Judge Jeremy Clarence Billington and Minnie Billington[src]
- "They [500 curious people] ruined a few bales of hay and scared the wits out of a herd of cows. We had to rescue four of them out of the duck pond."
- ―Adam Cartwright[src]
- "Well Adam, if you don't know a boy from a girl...."
- ―Little Joe and Adam Cartwright[src]