|Season 13, Episode 15|
|Ep.# in Series:||404|
|Air date||January 2, 1972|
|Written by||John Hawkins|
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
| Previous Episode:|
| Next Episode:|
A Lonely Man on IMDb
A Lonely Man on TV.com
While on a vacation prospecting for gold, Hop Sing meets a shy, sheltered woman who's run away from her parents. The two fall in love and want to marry, but learn the law prohibits interracial marriage; when in Virginia City to meet with a judge, the townspeople display their bigotry.
In a rare episode with Hop Sing in the spotlight, the Cartwright's servant is panning for gold during a vacation when he falls in love with a white woman. The relationship blossoms into an engagement, but the marriage never takes place. Ben bears the heartbreaking news that a judge confirms: Territorial law forbids interracial marriage.
Cast and CharactersEdit
The Cartwrights Edit
- Lorne Green: Ben Cartwright
- Dan Blocker: Hoss Cartwright
- Michael Landon: Little Joe Cartwright
- Mitch Vogel: Jamie Cartwright
Did you know?Edit
- This was the only episode where Hop Sing was the central character. Victor Sen Young is listed in the opening credits as a "Special Guest Star." The other Cartwrights appear as supporting characters in this story about interracial love and the prejudices the lovers often face.
- Kelly Jean Peters, who plays Hop Sing's girlfriend, Missy, was perhaps most famous for playing Gloria Justice in one of the unaired pilots of All in the Family.
- German episode title: "Hop Sing macht Urlaub", meaning "Hop Sing on Vacation".
Hop Sing: Why? Hop Sing as good as any ranch hand. Ranch hand get marry. Why not Hop Sing?
Joe: (to Hoss) Drop biscuits? You must mean like those pancakes you made this morning. Drop one and it breaks the plate.